Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tutorial: Ombré Nails


I've been wearing gradient or ombré nails for over a couple years right now. They started out worse, but after more and more practise I've found the best and easiest way for me to get a cute and fashionable ombré nails. I can even do my right hand without making a mess. Time to share!



Things you need:
- Base coat
- White polish
- Three colored nail polishes
- Top coat
- Cosmetic sponge
- Scotch tape (optional)
- Nail polish remover (optional)
- Qtips or cotton pads (optional)


Step 1; Use a base coat to prevent your nails from discoloration. Then polish your nails white and let it dry. This will be the base for the colors you are going to be using. The polishes will come out more vibrant than without a white base.


Step 2; This step is totally optional, but if you want to save a lot of time at the end by scrubbing and cleaning your cuticles I would recommand you to not skip this step. This step is all about taping your cuticles/around your nails. If you have short nails I would advice you to also tape underneath the tip of your nails.




Step 3; For this step you need a cosmetic sponge. The ones I got are round and a little too big for my opinion, so I cut them in four and I use only one quarter each time I do my nails. Take your three color polishes and make three stripes of each different polish next to each other. Don't let this dry and continue with step 4.

The polishes I used were Pool Party, Flip Flop Fantasy and Yellow Polka Dot Bikini from China Glaze.


Step 4; Aim your sponge with nail polish horizontal above your nail and roll the sponge over your nail. Let this dry before you continue.



Step 5; Repeat step 3 and 4 on all your nails to get a beautiful and pigmented ombré. Let the polish completely dry before rolling on another layer of polish. If you don't wait till your polish is dry, some polish that's already on your nails might come off when rolling.


Step 6; Remove the scotch tape or clean your cuticles with some nail polish remover and a qtips or cotton pads. Put on a layer of topcoat to give your nails shine and prevent them from early chipping.



What do you think of the whole ombré trend right now? Every tried any gradient manicure yourself? 

3 comments:

  1. Ik vind het best mooi maar hangt af van de kleuren die gebruikt worden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!!! I can't stop trying this with new colors!

    ReplyDelete